[XeTeX] Are the new etex changes reflected in XeTeX? (was XeTeX bugs in bidirectional typesetting)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:19:45 CET 2016

On 20/11/2016 03:55, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> Hi
>

> When I discussed the TeX--XeT issues with Peter Bre­it­en­lohner, he
> made few changes in etex. Are these changes applied to XeTeX?

> 2) Better handling of right to left text
>

> This is quite important since he changed TeX--XeT model into a new
> version where the order of whatsit nodes is no longer reversed.

This is very interesting, I didn't know Peter had done that. I think
this is the right way forward (for an etex-based engine such as xetex),
and had been hoping to find the time to work on essentially the same
idea in xetex, but so far the code exists only in my head.

Unfortunately, xetex is no longer built on top of tex.web + etex.ch etc,
but has its own separate xetex.web (I think Peter made this change
around 2012), and so subsequent improvements in etex won't have
automatically become part of the xetex build; they would (I presume)
have to be ported over to xetex.web. But that should be relatively
straightforward, I hope, and should save me needing to reinvent that
particular wheel.