[XeTeX] Hyphenation of strings of more than 63 characters

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:53:57 CET 2016

Peter,

I have just pushed a new experimental branch named "max-hyph-len" to the
xetex repository. The changes here implement a new integer parameter

   \XeTeXhyphenatablelength

which defaults to 63 (to maintain existing behavior), but can be
increased to allow longer words to be hyphenated. (It can also be made
smaller, but I doubt that's actually useful!)

There's a compile-time limit of 4095; you can set the parameter larger
than this, but the value actually used will remain clamped to this
limit. That should be enough for your purposes, I hope!

The values used for \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin remain clamped to 63.

If you (and others) could build and test this version, to check that I
haven't broken things, that would be great. I've successfully hyphenated
a couple of really long strings in a test file, but it's had only
minimal exercise so far!

Note that xetex.fmt (and any other .fmt files) will need to be rebuilt
with the new version.

It will identify itself as version 0.99996.

JK