[XeTeX] [texworks] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Mar 17 06:41:45 CET 2016

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016, Stefan Löffler wrote:
> More importantly, though, several scripts could be run (say, one that
> looks only for errors and only that only looks for warnings) which could
> give contradicting results (e.g., no errors => close, warnings => don't

I think you're describing some kind of TeXworks-specific feature for
running scripts after the TeX engine, separately from running the TeX
engine.  That's different from what I had in mind, which was to *replace*
the TeX engine by a script that internally runs TeX and then returns 0 or
1 conditional on whatever checks are desired.  TeXworks would only see
this as "TeX returned 1" without knowing there was a script involved.  It
only needs to be able to run the script instead of TeX, which can be
achieved by making the script executable and telling TeXworks "use this
executable file as the TeX engine."

I was trying to address the request for TeX to return 1 on overfull hboxes,
as directly as possible.  A script that replaces TeX can give that effect
without needing any modifications to TeX nor TeXworks.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.