[XeTeX] Hyphenation of strings of more than 63 characters

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue Mar 15 19:04:30 CET 2016

There could be some subtle problems that simply changing the character count constant causes.

In particular, the allocation size of a "whatsit" language node might also need changing, which would require adjusting other code in the core engine that assumes a default small size for that language node sub-type of a "whatsit".

Or not.  I can't tell from the TeX source what the bit sizes of these node fields are.  But if they're too small to fit a pair of enhanced character count limits for hyphenation, there will likely be bugs elsewhere due to truncation or wraparound in the arithmetic.

FWIW,

Doug McKenna