[XeTeX] [texworks] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:18:30 CET 2016

On 13/03/2016 1:26 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:

> mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
>
>> If a script begins with the characters "#!" and the name of a script
>> interpreter, and has the execute bit set, then it can be executed like any
>> other program, and the front end can run it the same way the front end
>> would run any TeX engine.  This is a facility of the operating system,
>> often called the "shebang" mechanism, and it is transparent to
>> applications.  There is no need for the front end to know what language
>> the script is written in, nor how to interpret that language.
>
> As far as I am aware, Mathew, #! is meaningless to the Windows
> command-line interpreter; I /believe/ (but have no first-hand knowledge
> or experience) that its use is restricted to Unix-like systems.

Not restricted to particular systems, but restricted to particular
Unix-like shells.  You can run Unix-like shells on Windows using Cygwin
or a couple of other emulators.

But your main point is correct:  as in everything, doing this in Windows
is a bit harder than doing it anywhere else.

Duncan Murdoch