[XeTeX] xetex installation

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Sun Mar 13 19:40:02 CET 2016

Hi!

Purnendu Chakraborty schrieb:
> I have a naive question to the group. How do I set up xetex distribution in the
> user area?  I could not find any documentation in this regard.
>
> The reason is the following. I have TeXlive 2013 from  Opensuse 13.2. I find
> that the xetex bundled with distribution is buggy. I have some issue
> with Bengali
> conjuncts with this version of xetex.  So I want a fresh install of
> xetex without
> touching the system-wide TexLive installation.

If you have enough room on the disk -- my installation takes about 4.3 G -- you
can easily install the current texlive (which includes xetex) in your home
directory. Just download the installation script, start it as instructed, and
before you tell it to install, change the directories appropriately. Then write
a small script that adds the paths to your current environment. Something like

------ texlive2015.sh ------
#!/bin/bash
export INFOPATH="~/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/doc/info:${INFOPATH}"
export  MANPATH="~/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/doc/man:${MANPATH}"
export     PATH="~/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux:${PATH}"
------ end of texlive2015.sh ------

You might have to adjust the paths. Now, before you use xetex, call this script,
for example

. texlive2015.sh

from the same shell (terminal) from which you call your XeTeX-using programms.

This precedes the given paths with the new version paths, so any program you
call with these environment variables active is searched for in the new
directories first.

If you know you'll never want to use openSUSE's version of texlive 2013, you can
rename this file to '~/.profile' (make sure such a file does not yet exist) or
append those commands to an existing ~/.profile file. Then you can even use
(graphical) window manager shortcuts to TeX editors (in case you use them) with
the correct environment settings.

Hope that helps,

Susan