[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 10:12:02 CET 2016

David Carlisle wrote:

> that would seem rather odd unless you actually made them errors and
> stop with a normal
> ? error prompt etc.
>
> The status code should reflect whether an error is reported so if
> there were an option it
> should be to make overfull boxes errors, not just to affect the status code.

Thank you for your very prompt response and comment, David, but I do not
entirely follow your logic -- whether or not something is an error is
surely not the issue :  what matters is whether something is or is not
an unqualified success.  IMVHO (and based on the VMS model, modulo 1 or
0 indicating success), a status code of zero should indicate unqualified
success; non-zero status codes should be reserved for various categories
of warning, error, severe error, fatal error, etc., should they not ?

** Phil.