[XeTeX] bidi and fontspec

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Jun 25 05:59:51 CEST 2016

On 6/24/2016 7:27 PM, Gildas Hamel wrote:
> I ran into the same problem and noticed it in the numbering of
> footnotes and lists. The solution for now, according to Ulrike
> Fischer, is to add
>
> \makeatletter\@Latintrue\makeatother to the polyglossia language
> settings, because "bidi tests for \if at Latin, so you can get around
> the problem by setting it to true."
>
> See:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/312874/polyglossia-or-bidi-bug-d-gets-inverted-to-d/312881#312881

Thanks for the pointer--I'm not using polyglossia, so afaict the above
solution doesn't quite work for me.  But I was successful with a slight
variant of this, from

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/84293/amsmath-bidi-siunitx-possible-bug
(which addressed what I guess was a different bug, since it was in
2012).  This work around is to define \@Latintrue as a name (I think
that's what this does, my tex creds are not good):
    \usepackage{bidi}
    \csname @Latintrue\endcsname
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"I cannot believe that our existence in this universe
	is a mere quirk of fate, an accident of history, an
	incidental blip in the great cosmic drama. Our
	involvement is too intimate. The physical species
	Homo may count for nothing, but the existence of
	mind in some organism on some planet in the universe
	is surely a fact of fundamental significance. Through
	conscious beings the universe has generated
	self-awareness." --Paul Davies