[XeTeX] xelatex, hyperref, and new TeXLive

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Jun 17 00:10:03 CEST 2016

On 6/16/2016 11:46 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>> kpsewhich hyperref.cfg
>>>
>>> really return a file in the .../doc/... branch?
>>
>> Oh of course! well spotted.
>>
>> So that is the error.
>>
>> The file is correctly installed in the doc branch but the OP's
>> $TEXINPUTS is incorrectly including the
>> /groups/tools/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/doc tree and worse searching it
>> before the /groups/tools/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex tree.

Yeap, $TEXINPUTS was being set in order to include several directories
of local files, so I assumed it also had to include the necessary paths
under texlive/2016/.  The problem was that $TEXINPUTS was set to include
*all* paths under
     texlive/2016/texmf-dist/
and the documentation directories are included under "all paths."  The
trick is to use a trailing colon in the definition of $TEXINPUTS (you
probably knew that, but I'm recording it here for the next time I make
this mistake :-)), rather than an explicit pointer.  The trailing colon
selects whatever the appropriate directories under texmf-dist are,
rather than all 27 subdirectories.

I guess the other solution would be to include links from our
texmf-local directory to our other directories of local files.  (It
would not be as easy to put these local files under texmf-local, because
some of them come from other tools we use, e.g. dblatex.)

I remain mystified why this problem didn't bite us with older TeXLive
distributions (or why it suddenly surfaced with the 2016 version).

Thanks for the help!

    Mike Maxwell