[XeTeX] [tex-live] Seemingly inexplicable shift in page origin between TL 2014 and TL 2016

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:47:46 CEST 2016

On 15 July 2016 at 00:19, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Jul 15, 2016, at 8:49 AM, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> well that'll be the page size special change as mentioned earlier I assume.
>

> Hmm. In which version of  color.sty  was this introduced?

pdftex.def (and luatex.def) have _always_ set \pdfpage(height|width) with
no option not to do that,
conversely dvips.def did not by default set \ pagesize \special, which mean
that if you used color or graphics
then the pdf-specified page size either was or was not affected by latex
options such as
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
depending if you used pdftex or tex+dvips (or luatex or xetex)
as of this year, after some discussion on the texlive list color and
graphics acquired  setpagesize and nosetpagesize options and then
dvips/pdftex/luatex/xetex/dvipdfmx.def either set the page size or not.

> Presumably later than:
>
> Package: color 2016/05/09 v1.1c Standard LaTeX Color (DPC)
>
> There is a potential conflict with  pdfx.sty  setting the  /MediaBox .
>

> what does \usepackage [nosetpagesize]{color} do?
>

> Is there a mechanism similar to  \hypersetup  that allows the options to
> be changed
> *after* the package has been loaded?

Not really, although the actual setting is in \AtBeginDocument{\AtBeginDVI
so as long
as you set the relevant registers to the right value it'll get set up (but
let me know if you need more hooks)