[XeTeX] not enough \XeTeXcharclass registers

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:33:49 CET 2016

On 13/12/15 07:04, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> [XeTeX 3.14159265-2.6-0.99992 (TeX Live 2015)]
>

> Folks,
>

> I'm updating the `ucharclasses.sty' to completely cover Unicode.  This
> style file maps Unicode character blocks to character classes, and
> I've hit the 256 entry limit of \XeTeXcharclass...
>
> Any chance to extend it to 16 bits?

Returning to this: I've just pushed an experimental branch
'more-classes' to the git repository at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xetex/ that is intended to increase the
\XeTeXcharclass limit to 16384 (where 16384 will be the "ignored" value,
formerly 256, and 16383 will be the "boundary" value, formerly 255; so
for general allocation purposes the maximum class number becomes 16382).

If we go ahead with this change, it will require updates to any
packages/documents that rely on the special values 255 and 256, and the
\newXeTeXintercharclass allocator will need to be told the new limit.

Before this gets merged to the master source, though, some testing would
be appreciated -- obviously, this will currently require rebuilding
xetex from the git source branch.

Arthur, if you have a chance to look at this and see if I missed
anything obvious, that would be great - thanks.