[XeTeX] Faking small caps?

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Mon Jan 25 16:24:41 CET 2016

Den 2016-01-25 kl. 16:06, skrev Philip Taylor:

> BPJ wrote:
>> I have a text where certain words should be set in small caps. The
>> problem is that some of these words contain the character ŋ, which isn't
>> supported in small caps in the font used.  Might there be some way to
>> fake a small cap ŋ in these words -- preferably smarter than
>> search-replacing ŋ with {\small Ŋ} in those words?
>
> Why not make ŋ active and program it to expand to {\small Ŋ} ?
> Philip Taylor

I discovered (1) that some other problematic characters also occur
in this context and (2) made some further experimentation and
found that the following actually looks practically
indistinguishable from real small caps:

\newcommand{\Morph}[1]{{\addfontfeatures{Scale=0.7,FakeStretch=1.2}\MakeUppercase{#1}}}

/bpj