[XeTeX] misplaced accents in printout only?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:44:50 CET 2016

On 20 January 2016 at 23:42, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know nowadays with HarfBuzz it does nothing, HarfBuzz handles
> normalization in its own way.
>
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

>> On 2016-01-20 17:59, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

>>> *Input normalization*
>>>
>>> I left {CMU Serif Italic} as the document font, and added
>>> \XeTeXinputnormalization=1 to the preamble
>>>
>>> This also produced PDF that printed *correctly* in all cases.
>>>

>> Hmmm, is there documentation for this \XeTeXinputnormalization?  I can
>> find some references to it in a web search, but no explanation of exactly
>> what it does.  What does "normalization" mean (NFC, NFD,...)?  Under what
>> circumstances (besides the one Dominik saw) should this setting be used?  I
>> don't want to go through printouts of 300 page documents looking for
>> misplaced diacritics...
>>
>>    Mike Maxwell

It's in the xetex manual (texdoc xetex) 0 is off, 1 is NFC 2 is NFD

It affects tokenization so does have an effect whatever font library is in
use see

\def\zz#1#2{[#1]}

\zz á12

\zz á12

\XeTeXinputnormalization=1

\def\zz#1#2{[#1]}

\zz á12

\zz á12

\bye

where the first line produces [a] as it separates the ascii a from the
following combing character but the third line which is also input using a
combing character produces [] the same as lines 2 and 4 which use the
pre-composed U+00E1 (which is nothing here as I'm using cmr)

David