[XeTeX] misplaced accents in printout only?

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Jan 21 00:35:26 CET 2016

On 2016-01-20 17:59, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> *Input normalization*
>
> I left {CMU Serif Italic} as the document font, and added
> \XeTeXinputnormalization=1 to the preamble
>
> This also produced PDF that printed *correctly* in all cases.

Hmmm, is there documentation for this \XeTeXinputnormalization?  I can
find some references to it in a web search, but no explanation of
exactly what it does.  What does "normalization" mean (NFC, NFD,...)?
Under what circumstances (besides the one Dominik saw) should this
setting be used?  I don't want to go through printouts of 300 page
documents looking for misplaced diacritics...

    Mike Maxwell