[XeTeX] misplaced accents in printout only?

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 23:58:32 CET 2016

I don't have an exact answer, but something similar recently happened to
me.  I have a PDF with a bunch of Old Italic characters.   It displays
correctly on screen regardless of what computer I use.  If I print from
my laptop downstairs to the Brother network printer in my study
upstairs, the Old Italic characters all come out as nonsense (some
accent shapes, a few odd letters).  If I print it upstairs on a
different computer, but using the same network printer, all is well.
It's a Brother multifunction machine with the latest Windows driver
installed on both machines.  Moral: PDFs aren't as bulletproof as we think.

I assume you have already considered: are the fonts embedded in the
PDF?  Did he enter the characters as precomposed combinations or by
using combining marks?  First option more likely, I imagine.

This is a real shot in the dark, but here goes:
Is it possible that, at some point in the process, the precomposed
characters were decomposed and then put back together in a way that
affected the output?  If the font in use contains precomposed
combinations but does not support positioning of combining marks this
might happen. ???

David