[XeTeX] New feature planned for xetex

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Fri Feb 19 21:50:50 CET 2016

On 19/02/2016 01:06, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> So... that was an interesting and thought-provoking suggestion, but at
> this point I think I'm inclined towards keeping the existing model. To
> me, it makes sense to think of these as increasing levels of support,
> rather than as independent features.

That's interesting, because when we implemented these two things in
SILE, we did it the other way around! Whole-run shaping came first, and
then space kerning came second.

There's a long and ponderous discussion of the implementation at
https://github.com/simoncozens/sile/issues/179 - but basically we first
sent the runs for shaping and then turned any spaces back into TeX-style
constant width glue nodes, and then afterwards we decided to rely on the
shaper's understanding of the space width.