[XeTeX] Command \providelength already defined

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 06:57:22 CET 2016

Hi,

I am trying to use the "dialogue" package with XeTeX, and I hit the
following error:

=== BEGIN ===

(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/frankenstein/dialogue.sty
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/frankenstein/blkcntrl.sty
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/frankenstein/moredefs.sty

! LaTeX Error: Command \providelength already defined.
               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

=== END ===

I found that the "polyglossia" also has this definition. Is there a
way I can overcome this? A sample input file is shown below:

=== input.tex ===

\documentclass{book}

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\usepackage{dialogue}

\begin{document}

\begin{dialogue}
  \speak{Vladimir} Whare are all these from?

  \speak{Estragon} These people.

  \speak{Vladimir} A house! A house!

  \speak{Estragon} We’re surrounded! There’s no way out there. Well I
can understand that. Wait till I see. Your only hope left is to
disappear.
\end{dialogue}

\end{document}

Appreciate any help in this regard.