[XeTeX] :letterspace oddities

Will Robertson will at wspr.io
Fri Aug 26 03:11:24 CEST 2016

On 26 Aug 2016, at 2:32 AM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> 2) \fontdimen 2 is not affected by the :letterspace parameter; arguably it should be, such that interword space is stretched in proportion to interletter space (and perhaps \fontdimens 3, 4 & 7 should be modified as well, and perhaps even 6).

I’d probably argue that the features are orthogonal. A user interface could/should definitely apply to all of them (and probably something I need to add to fontspec) but I’m not sure if `letterspace` on its own should affect \fontdimens.

Regarding point #1, I guess that’s something that the engine needs to improve… not my area of expertise.

Cheers,
Will