[XeTeX] :letterspace oddities

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Aug 25 19:02:58 CEST 2016

For some time now I have been partially aware of some oddities in the XeTeX implementation of :letterspace, but it was only today that my thoughts crystallised sufficiently for me to attempt to record them on- list :

1) Search functionality.

For :

\font \errorfont = "Copperplate Gothic Bold:letterspace=8,color=BF0000" scaled 2260

\newbox \errorbox

\setbox \errorbox = \leftline {\errorfont +++ NOT AT TOP OF PAGE +++}

Adobe Acrobat 7.1 has no problem locating the string "+++" if the contents of \errorbox end up in the PDF file; however, for

\font \errorfont = "Copperplate Gothic Bold:letterspace=16,color=BF0000" scaled 2260

the same string cannot be found.

2) \fontdimen 2 is not affected by the :letterspace parameter; arguably it should be, such that interword space is stretched in proportion to interletter space (and perhaps \fontdimens 3, 4 & 7 should be modified as well, and perhaps even 6).
--

Philip Taylor