[XeTeX] Adobe Professional Fonts and Diacritics

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 11 10:44:28 CEST 2015

> As Ulrike
> says, this is really a font problem anyway, it should be solved only for
> documents that use that font (or by changing the font, of course).

Your are absolutely right. And thanks for the hints.
Jürgen

----- Nachricht von Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> ---------
      Datum: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:36:18 +0100
        Von: Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>
Antwort an: "XeTeX (Unicode-based TeX) discussion." <xetex at tug.org>
    Betreff: Re: [XeTeX] Adobe Professional Fonts and Diacritics
         An: "XeTeX (Unicode-based TeX) discussion." <xetex at tug.org>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 02:02:13PM +0200,
> hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de wrote:
>> In the first case, writing Sanskrit in transliteration, one would write
>> typically within an English, other Euopean,
>> or Japanese (or whatever) environment that constitutes the main language.
>> One just uses a few additional diacritics
>> in latin alphabet and would not switch to another languange, since word
>> division has to be added by hand anyway.
>> The other case is the full use of Devanagari in a Sanskrit environment.
>
>   I see.  That's an understandable use case, but it's too specific for a
> reasonable user interface.  You're expecting "\begin{sanskrit}" (or some
> equivalent command) to deactivate some setups you've done for Sanskrit
> at the document level: that's not something we can reasonably support.
> You know that the default document font will work well with your setups,
> and not with the Devanagari font you're using within the sanskrit
> environment; that's of course why you want to deactivate it.  But
> Poylgossia can't know that, and some other users may very well expect
> the exact opposite: a user whose document has very little Sanskrit in it
> could very well decide to use the sanskrit environment for the Sanskrit
> texts, and want to have the font fixes activated within it, and only
> there.  That does in fact sound like a much more common use case to me.
>
>   What you should do is define your own switches to deactivate the
> redefinitions, and a new environment such as (untested code):
>
> 	\newcommand\activatesanskritchars{%
> 	  \catcode`\ṝ=\active
> 	  % Definitions as suggested by Ulrike
> 	}
>
> 	\newcommand\deactivatesanskritchars{%
> 	  \catcode`\ṝ=\letter
> 	}
>
> 	\newenvironment{mysanskrit}{%
> 	  \deactivatesanskritchars
> 	  \sanskrit
> 	}{%
> 	  \activatesanskritchars
> 	  \endsanskrit
> 	}
>
> and use "\begin{mysanskrit}" instead of "\begin{sanskrit}".  	Best,
>
> 		Arthur

----- Ende der Nachricht von Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> -----

---