[XeTeX] Adobe Professional Fonts and Diacritics

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 9 10:19:08 CEST 2015

As a Sanskritist I can only use fonts if they produce a few
diacritics, nothing fancy, just macrons
and a few dots above or below a character. In normal LaTeX the ucs
package takes care of that.

I have recently acquired a large font collection from Adobe, which has
all the latest
Pro(fessional) versions of such nice fonts as Arno, Minion, Caslon
etc. and wanted to use them with
my XeTeX based projects. To my great surprise, none of the fonts seem
to be able to produce
underdotted letters.

I have tried this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
\begin{document}

Āāīūś  % works as expected.
ṣṇṭḍṃḥ % just crossed out boxes.

\end{document}

The first line comes out nicely, the second does not. I tried
Openoffice, but there the second line
is displayed by using substitute fonts. Before complaining to Adobe, I
have one question: Is there
something like an option to switch on diacritics which I may have missed?

Best
Jürgen

---

Prof. Dr. Juergen Hanneder