[XeTeX] [tex-live] -dAutoRotatePages=/None in the distiller_template

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Nov 10 01:57:41 CET 2015

On 2015-11-07 at 09:39:49 +0900, Hironobu Yamashita wrote:

 > > ... It would seem, from what Hironobu-san
 > > has said, that neither XeTeX not (x)dvipdfm(x) support the /rotate (or
 > > /Rotate) primitive that Adobe Acrobat inserts when one asks it to rotate
 > > a PDF ...
 > >
 > > ** Phil.
 >
 > That's right. And it's not only Adobe Acrobat that inserts /Rotate
 > (uppercase) in PDF rotation: for example, pdftk in.pdf cat
 > 1-endsouth output out.pdf inserts /Rotate 90. Mac OS X Preview.app
 > is similar.
 >
 > When pdf tool developers implement pdf rotation, addition of
 > /Rotate may be the easiest way: there is no need to interpret pdf
 > completely! And also it is reasonable that users choose rotating
 > pdf before including it into TeX, therefore insertion of /Rotate
 > occurs frequently.  Most of pdf viewers can understand /Rotate, so
 > they show pdf in proper orientation. However, current XeTeX and
 > xdvipdfmx cannot understand /Rotate in pdf. This is the problem.

Dear Hironobu,
what do you want to rotate?  An included graphic file or the whole
document?

Maybe I don't understand what you are talking about.  You said: "there
is no need to interpret pdf completely!"

Well, at TeX level there is no need to *read* a PDF file, you just
have to tell what you intend.  Rotating an included graphic file (for
instance by \includegraphics in LaTeX) means to change the
transformation matrix first, insert the graphic file, and finally
restore the matrix.  You have to know the size of the graphic, of
course.  If you rotate something counterclockwise by 90 degrees, all
x-coordinates become negative and you have to shift the graphic to the
right by its height (before rotation) or its width (after rotation).

If the graphic file is in EPS format, the BoundingBox comment is
evaluated and if it's PDF, at least pdfTeX uses the /MediaBox.

Hironobu, can you tell my why xdvipdfmx has to understand /Rotate?

I assume that previewers and printers have to interpret PostScript or
PDF completely but at TeX level we just have to say what we want to
achieve.

And I'm convinced that /Rotate (with uppercase "R") should be avoided
because it's not mentioned in the "PostScript language reference",
third edition, ISBN 0-201-37922-8.  PostScript is an excellent
programming language, if there were not these annoying Adobe TechNotes.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de