[XeTeX] Assignment of codes (particularly \catcode) based on Unicode data

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed May 6 22:38:45 CEST 2015

David Carlisle wrote:

> I don't think that's the right question. Even if everyone, including
> the Unicode technical committee, agreed some properties are
> incorrect for some characters, it isn't clear we should change them
> at this level.

You are (inadvertently) conflating my question with earlier discussions.

My question was asked solely in the context of Apostolos's suggestion that :

> somewhere it is explained why this is not correct. Otherwise, people
> would see strange things and might wonder why they see them.

and I was trying to ascertain how best this explanation might be cast.
If it is the case (that for UNIV) all agree that Unicode is wrong and
Apostolos is correct, then a simple explanation that 'Unicode is wrong'
would be all that is needed. But if (say) 50% of UNIV agree that Unicode
is correct, then the explanation would have to be cast bearing this in mind.

** Phil.