[XeTeX] \font "<platform font>":color=FFFFFF produces black, not white glyphs

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 29 15:54:49 CEST 2015

Could anyone explain why the continuum that exists from color=000000 to
color=FEFFFF, color=FFFEFF and color=FFFFFE breaks at color=FFFFFF ?

To ensure 100% consistency between the proofing version of a book (which
has marginal notes in red to ensure that the proof-reader can
unambiguously identify the callouts for each image) and the CRC-ready
version, I prefer not to disable the marginal note mechanism, which
/might/ lead to different pagination (although tests suggest, but cannot
prove, that it does not) but instead to make the marginal notes
invisible by changing their colour from DF0000 to FFFFFF.

However, when I do so, the glyphs that should be white are, in fact,
black.  I can fudge my way around this by using (e.g.,) the colour
specifier FFFFFE, but I have a pathological dislike of kludges and would
like to know why

	\font "<platform font>":color=FFFFFF

produces black, not white glyphs.

** Phil (Philip Taylor)