[XeTeX] Does there exist the equivalent of testfont.tex/fonttable.tex for XeTeX?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 01:04:41 CEST 2015

On 12 June 2015 at 16:05, roger <roger at herz-fischler.ca> wrote:
> As François Charette states on page 4 of his ««ArabXeTeX Manual»» there is
> a  great advantage to being able to input a language via code rather than
> typing  the glyph. This is particularly true if the language is not one
> that you master. As a personal example I cite Cree $\^{1}$. It is far
> easier, and much faster, for a non-speaker to type in \mi  than trying to
> search through the syllabic table for the sign for "mi" and then
> figuring out which key to touch (provided that you can input from the
> keyboard, which is not always the case)..
>
> This also has a great advantage in the teaching or linquistic description
> of a language, especially since the same coding can be used to print a
> transliteration; see e.g., Daniels and Bright, ««The World's Writing
> capability.
>
> This brings up the question of UNICODE.In order to write:
>             \def\mi{^^^^14a5}
> one has to search through the UNICODE table to find the  ̈mi ̈
> syllabic. The
> tables tend to be all inclusive and thus very large and difficult to search
> through.
>
> Then there is the questsion of particular fonts. Does the font contain ALL
> syllabics? just Cree syllabics? just Moose Cree?$\^{1}$ Does the font even
> follow  UNICODE (not always evident)?
>
> In view of the above a VERY useful tool would be the equivalent of
> [testfont.tex]/[fonttable.tex], which, for a given UNICODE-based font,
> would print the glyph and the corresponding UNICODE number.
>
> My attempts at using the latter (in PureTeX) with Cree resulted in a Cork
> type table. Is there such an tool or modification of [fontable.tex]?
>
> Roger Herz-Fischler
>
> 1. See http://www.languagegeek.com/font/fontdownload.html .

I showed one way to get tex commands based on the Unicode names of all
the characters in the cree  range here

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/244131/how-to-use-truetype-fonts-in-latex-no-map-encodinggiven-but-they-follow-unic/244136#244136

It probably doesn't make sense to print off an entire font (normally)
there are rather a lot of characters:-) but it would be easy to have a
macro that took a range and a font and made a Unicode-style table in
the style of

http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1400.pdf

David