[XeTeX] widowpenalty

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Sat Jan 17 18:46:05 CET 2015

Hi all,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 14.04, which includes XeTeX v.
3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014/Debian) and noticed that
compiling my current project produces some incorrect line breaks.
My investigations have shown that XeTeX seems to ignore the current
\widowpenalty value (\clubpenalty is respected though). Here's a
minimal example (lipsum paragraphs are selected so that the desired
number of lines is produced):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{lipsum}

\widowpenalty=10000

\begin{document}
\lipsum[1-4]
\lipsum[37]
\lipsum[1]
\end{document}

In my tests a widow line is produced at the second page despite the
\widowpenalty setting. Processing the same file with luaTeX gives the
correct result, i. e. an additional line of the paragraph is moved to
the second page.

Can anybody test if this problem is specific for my Ubuntu installation?

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Faculty of History