[XeTeX] XeLatex/Polyglossia/Bigfoot/Hebrew

sjo sjo222 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 02:51:38 CET 2015

Hi:

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using bigfoot with Hebrew.

(1) In an english document I can have many levels of footnotes, I can label
the footnotes in the standard way, and reference them both in the main text
and footnotes.

However, in a Hebrew document, the footnotes references (whether in the
main text or referred to in a footnote) seem to always refer to the last
footnote number. Especially where we use "alh", i.e. the footnote number is
in the Hebrew alphabet.

    \DeclareNewFootnote[para]{A}[alph]

An example is provided below where

(\ref{fa1})

(\ref{fa2})

(\ref{fa3})

are all typeset as (ג) -- i.e. as the 3rd letter of the Hebrew alphabet.

(2) I also note that the apparatus

  \DeclareNewFootnote[para]{B}[arabic]

prints in a right to left order, rather than a left to right order.

What I am hoping to have is three levels of footnotes, each with a
different marker (e.g. alph, arabic, roman) so that they are easily
distinguishable.

I imagine that I am not using polyglossia or bigfoot properly.  Any help
would be appreciated.

If there is an alternative package that works with polyglossia/Hebrew that
would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon