[XeTeX] not enough \XeTeXcharclass registers

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Mon Dec 14 20:02:05 CET 2015

[please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the XeTeX mailing list]

> > I'm updating the `ucharclasses.sty' to completely cover Unicode.
> > This style file maps Unicode character blocks to character classes,
> > and I've hit the 256 entry limit of \XeTeXcharclass...
> >
> > Any chance to extend it to 16 bits?
>
> Don't you only need to allocate a class to a block for which a
> transition is specified, so 256 should only be a problem if you need
> to specify that many transitions?

I guess this would need a complete rewrite of the ucharclasses package
(so Michiel should answer :-), but yes, such an approach could solve
the issue.

Regardless of that, I think that \XeTeXcharclass should allow more
than 256 registers.

    Werner