[XeTeX] not enough \XeTeXcharclass registers

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:31:05 CET 2015

On 13/12/15 02:04, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> [XeTeX 3.14159265-2.6-0.99992 (TeX Live 2015)]
>

> Folks,
>

> I'm updating the `ucharclasses.sty' to completely cover Unicode.  This
> style file maps Unicode character blocks to character classes, and
> I've hit the 256 entry limit of \XeTeXcharclass...
>
> Any chance to extend it to 16 bits?

Probably, at least in principle; I don't remember the code offhand to
know how easy/difficult this might be.

But my first reaction to the question is to ask whether Unicode
character blocks are the most useful thing to map. They're rather
arbitrary, with things like Latin script split up across numerous blocks
largely due to historical accident.

Mapping the Script property to char classes would seem much more useful,
IMO.