[XeTeX] XeTeX maintenance

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:37:32 CEST 2015

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> > if you use <para indentation="none" looseness="1">Something...</para>
> > you are not using XML properly. The purpose of XML is to describe the
> > structure of a document, not its appearance.
>
> Yes, the element describes the structure; attributes such as those
> you quote in the example above convey hints about its intended
> appearance. There is no conflict -- software wishing to ascertain the
> structure interrogates the elements; software wishing to depict the
> structure visually can make use of the formatting attributes if it so
> chooses.

Formatting advices should better be present in processing instructions. You
can type <?TeX something?> <?HTML something else ?> etc.

> > Generally you will print the information from the XML file in a
> > different order ...
>
> Indeed we do; notes are taken out of the flow and re-set as end-notes.
> This behaviour is unaffected by the use of formatting attributes.
>
> > As the second step you will run XSLT in order to extract the elements
> > that have to be printed and finally XSL-FO in order to format the
> > output.
>
> That is /a/ methodology; there is nothing written in tablets of stone
> that says that one is required to follow it.  The XML sources to which I
> refer /could/ be processed using such a methodology, because the XML is
> well-formed; in practice, it is far far simpler to implement an XML
> parser and formatter using XeTeX, which is what I have elected to do.

Such parsers already exist in luatex and ConTeXt. I only know about them, I
have never used them. And FO may be processed by passiveTeX. And there are,
of course,  numerous other tools.