[XeTeX] additional beginL endL nodes in math

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 17 22:43:36 CEST 2015

Hi David, Zdenek, and others

On 18/04/2015, at 1:05, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> package, anyway)
>
> Colour is a font attribut in XeTeX but AFAIK it allowx RGB and RGBA only, CMYK is not supported. If I want to print the document by offset, I have to use colour specials, otherwise I risk unwanted result.

It is not just colour information that one may want to insert.

Here are some more instances in support of  boojums  (using  pdfTeX , not XeTeX).

A.
For tagged PDF you may need to tag individual characters with attributes for accessibility and Copy/Paste, such as to get the PDF page-contents stream looking like:

    /Span <</Alt(...)/ActualText<FFEF....> >> BDC
      ... normal TeX-placed material ...
    EMC

\pdfliteral   page {.... }    can provide the extra PDF coding lines,
but this is 2 extra  boojums  for each actual character in the math list.

B.
I'm currently writing a paper describing a method to attach tooltips to mathematical symbols and expressions. After setting the chunks in boxes for measuring, this ultimately puts
   \pdfannot ....
into the math-stream.
To not affect spacing, this would need to be a  boojum  surely.

I can supply instances where spacing has changed, by an extra thin space.
Sometimes placing extra {...} avoids this extra space, other cases require a \! to fix.

> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
>

> David

Is there a good tool or TeXnique that lets one see the contents of a math-stream, after all macros are processed, and during the internal page-construction stage?
I'd like something a bit better than just examining box contents after using \tracingall .

Cheers,

     Ross