[XeTeX] rendering of U+0903

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Tue Apr 14 18:44:24 CEST 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:07:19 +0200
Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> <manfred.lotz at arcor.de>:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 13:50:47 +0100
> > Arthur Reutenauer
> > <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   Have you tried using a non-breaking space (U+00A0) as the base
> > > letter?
> > >

> > Great idea which works perfectly for what I wanted to do, i.e. to
> > create an A2 poster of the Sanskrit alphabet.
> >
> > http://comedy.dante.de/~manfred/sanskrit_alphabet_A2.pdf
> >
> > Nice but vocalic R an L are in long places, they belong in between
> > long U
> and E. Moreover, HA is not a sibilant, it is a gutural  aspirate and
> should not be on the same line with sibilant. It is even more
> complex, from KA to MA you have voiceless unaspirated, voiceless
> aspirated, voiced unaspirated, voiced aspirated, nasal in eac group,
> then the scheme changes.

It is for private use and so it is easy for me to make a comprise
between looking good and being academic.

 I use colors to indicate groups, and ha on a single line is
just ugly (IMHO). Actually ha is in a different color (than "sa, .sa
and sa) to indicate it is a different beast. Then e.g. ka..pa is violet
to indicate unvoiced and unaspirated. Or green is for marking nasals.

Actually, it is not my original idea, I saw it somewhere else.

--
Manfred