[XeTeX] bug fmtcount with xelatex?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:30:49 CET 2014

> Le 05/11/2014 02:02, Zdenek Wagner a écrit :
>> \uccode`\è=`\È \uccode`\È=`\È
>>
>> It might be useful to set \lccode similarly: \lccode`\È=`\è
>> \lccode`\è=`\è
>
> Thanks Zdenek. But I am sorry to say that it does not work: è is not
> transformed in uppercase... I think that fmtcount package does not use
> \MakeUppercase command.

The definitions above are interpreted by the \uppercase primitive. In
the old TeX (without encTeX, without Lua) accented characters are not
natively supported, the inputenc package converts them to LICR. That's
why \MakeUppercase is needed because it first converts the argument to
a form that can be handled by \uppercase and subsequently sent to the
output via the fontenc package. In XeTeX it is different. These
packages are not used because Unicode is directly supported. Thus even
\uppercase can be used.

>> <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>: Bonjour,
>>
>> Try this MWE: with pdflatex the result is correct, with xelatex
>> for the second chapter I get:
>>
>> DEUXIèME instead of: DEUXIÈME
>>
>> How to correct this?
>>

>> <--------MWE \documentclass[11pt,twoside]{report}
>>
>> % \usepackage{fontspec}
>>
>> % \setmainfont{FreeSerif}[% % Mapping=tex-text,% % ]
>>
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>>
>> \usepackage[french]{babel}
>>
>> \usepackage[french]{fmtcount}
>>
>> \usepackage{titlesec}
>>
>> \titleformat{\chapter}% [display]% {\filcenter}%
>> {\MakeUppercase{\chaptername}~\ORDINALstring{chapter}}% {12pt}%
>> {\MakeUppercase}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \chapter{Toto}
>>
>> \chapter{Tata}