[XeTeX] new font question: is this possible?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:39:24 CET 2014

> Bonjour,
>
> When writing a Sanskrit text, there are (at least) two ways: roman
> transliteration, or devanagari.
>
> In a transliterated text, there are much more blank spaces between
> "words" than in a devanagari text. I would like to be able to have only
> one file for a text and choose either transliteration or devanagari.
>
> Is it possible to have some active character which separates "words" in
> the file and this character will give a blank space, if I choose
> tranliteration, and will give a null space if I choose devanagari, but a
> null space which allows ligature if necessary.
>
> For instance, in the file we have: tasmād_dhetor_bijasya and we get,
> after compilation:
>
> tasmād dhetor bījasya (in transliteration)
>
> or
>
> तस्माद्धेतोर्बीजस्य (in devanagari)
>
> (I have chosen underscore as the active character, but it is not the
> best idea...)

The TECkit mapping is applied after all macros are expanded, just
before the horizontal list is built. You have to decide in advance
whether _ will expand to \space or to nothing. Thus you can do the
following:

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{report}

\usepackage{xltxtra}

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{%
  FreeSerif%
}

\usepackage{polyglossia}% I prefer polyglossia to babel
\setdefaultlanguage{sanskrit}

\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[%
Script=Devanagari,Language=Sanskrit,AutoFakeSlant=0.2]{FreeSerif}

\begin{document}

\catcode`\_=13
\def\MyText{tat_sat śrī_bhagavān_uvāca}% _ not expanded here

% Sanskrit is the default language, no need to change the font

% As default, we have the transliteration, we have to define _
\def_{\space}

\MyText

{% Devanagari, redefine _ and add mapping
\def_{}
\addfontfeature{Mapping=RomDev}
\MyText

}