[XeTeX] stacking diacritics without mark-to-mark

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Mar 13 04:21:10 CET 2014

On 3/12/2014 10:19 PM, Andrew Cunningham wrote:
> Although personaly I'd consider such a solution a poor hack compared to a well
> designed font that is fit for purpose.

I won't disagree.  We've been told by the publisher, who original built the font
(or more likely subcontracted it) that the problem is a shortcoming of their
OpenType font files, that could only be eliminated by revising the font as a
whole.  I'm inclined to tell them to go for it, or else we'll use a font that
does work (Charis SIL comes to mind).  That would have the unfortunate
consequence that the first book in our series would use the publisher's font (we
didn't have the stacked diacritic problem in that book), but the rest of the
books in the series would use some other font.

But in order to convince them to make such a change, I need to understand better
what is involved in revising a font to make mark-to-mark positioning work.  I
gather that only the diacritics need the two mark-to-mark points (top and
bottom) to be defined, not every character--correct?

Is it done at the character level, or at the glyph level?  Does it need to be
done separately for each point size/ weight/ style that the font supports?

And do those attachment points need to be defined manually, or is there a way to
automate that process?  Can this be done in a tool like FontForge, or does one
need specialized tools that only the font manufacturer would have?

I'm assuming that base characters already have top and bottom marks, but that
may not be a safe assumption.  The problems we've seen so far have been with
stacked diacritics.

And of course there may be a better forum than this to ask this question.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond