[XeTeX] how does xetex choose fonts?

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Wed Mar 12 23:05:52 CET 2014

Bonsoir,

I installed the "last" version of Freefonts on my texlive-2013 in:

/opt/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/opentype/public/gnu-freefont/

In order to be sure that xelatex will pick up this version, I changed
the permissions of other directories containing other versions of these
fonts to 000. So I change the permissions of:

/opt/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/gnu-freefont/
/opt/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/gnu-freefont/
/usr/share/fonts/opentype/freefonts/
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefonts/

But if I change back the permisions of these directories to 755, xelatex
chooses the old version in them.

Is there a process to choose fonts? Something like unix system: 1)
user's account 2) "local" config (/usr/local/... /opt/... 3) installed
system?

I ope to be clear enough.

Thanks for attention.

--