[XeTeX] Type2 Charstring Parser: Subroutine nested too deeply

Joshua and Amy josh.ruthamy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:24:02 CET 2014

I'm typesetting with XeLaTeX, using fontspec, and calling a font provided
to me by the publisher of a manuscript I'm working on.

My problem is with* U+012D ( ĭ ) in boldface*. If I include " \textbf{ĭ} "
in the document, I get the following error (down to the end of the log
file):

** ERROR ** Type2 Charstring Parser: Subroutine nested too deeply.

Output file removed.
 )
Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
file JENSEN - i-with-breve.pdf may not be valid.
SyncTeX written on JENSEN - i-with-breve.synctex.gz.
Transcript written on JENSEN - i-with-breve.log.

The publisher says they cannot reproduce the error (but they also can't run
XeLaTeX). I don't know what other details to post here, though I'm sure the
solution will require more information than I've given. I'd appreciate any
help in working towards a solution. Thanks!

Josh Jensen