[XeTeX] FreeSerif fonts and devanagari ligatures

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:02:02 CET 2014

> Hi Françoise,
>
> I'm aware of some serious problems.  The development builds of FreeFont
> should resolve these.
>
> If you would like, I can give you access to development builds;
> we would be glad to hear your input.
>
> What happened is this:
>
> Before 2012 or so, the main font rendering system in Linux was
> "Pango", which emulated
> the Indic rules of Windows XP and before. The 2012 release of
> FreeFont was tested and
> working in this system.
>
> But soon after, a new rendering system "Harfbuzz", which emulates the
> very different
> rules of Windows Vista/7, was introduced.  This unfortunately broke
> all the Indic ranges in
> FreeFont (as well as many other fonts).

Harfbuzz broke the indic rules and the release of 2012, which is
distributed even in TeX Live 2013, does not work, there is quite a lot
of problems. I got several times a snapshot from Steve, I reported the
problems and quite a long time ago I reported that it passes all my
tests. This book was typeset using TeX Live 2013 (with Harfbuzz) and
the snapshot of FreeFont:

http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/ArunakashKaRasta/

When performing the tests I found that fontconfig priorities are not
always honoured, sometimes XeTeX found the snapshot FreeFont,
sometimes the FreeFont from TeX Live. As a result I was receiving
unpredictable mess. After forcibly uninstalling FreeFont from TeX
Live, so that I had jus one FreeFont installed, everything started to
work.

> We have put a lot of work into updating the fonts, but not all the
> ranges are tested yet.
> --and it may be a while yet, due partly to limitations on my own time.
>
> Cheers!
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM, François Patte
> <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>

>> It seems to me that some ligatures are missing in FreeSerif fonts if I
>> use the devanagari script; as far as I tested these ones are missing:
>>
>> tr, pr, śr
>>

>> Moreover, slanted devanagari glyphs are lacking
>>
>> Am I right, or I use an obsolete version of these fonts (from texlive-2013).
>>
>> Thank you
>> --
>> François Patte
>> UFR de mathématiques et informatique