[XeTeX] autoconf macros not found

Bobby de Vos devos.bobby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 07:19:31 CET 2014

Greetings,

I am having trouble building xetex from source. Today I downloaded the
source tree from

http://git.code.sf.net/p/xetex/code

and in the source tree I ran the command

./build.sh

System is Ubuntu Precise amd64 with autoconf 2.68 running in a virtual
machine on Windows 7 Professional. Output is

Your make is a GNU-make; I will use that
checking for autoreconf... /usr/bin/autoreconf
running autoreconf --force --install --verbose
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: adding subdirectory auxdir/auxsub to autoreconf
autoreconf: Entering directory `auxdir/auxsub'
autoreconf: configure.ac: creating directory ../../build-aux
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
configure.ac:14: installing `../../build-aux/install-sh'
configure.ac:14: installing `../../build-aux/missing'
autoreconf: Leaving directory `auxdir/auxsub'
autoreconf: configure.ac: adding subdirectory libs to autoreconf
autoreconf: Entering directory `libs'
configure.ac:14: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
./build.sh: line 210: ../source/configure: No such file or directory
strip: 'build/texk/web2c/xetex': No such file
ls: cannot access build/texk/web2c/xetex: No such file or directory

In the files

 1. source/configure.ac
 2. source/libs/configure.ac
 3. source/utils/configure.ac
 4. source/texk/configure.ac

I changed AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS to AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR. The build made
further progress. Now the end of the output says

autoreconf: Entering directory `texk'
autoreconf: Leaving directory `texk'
configure.ac:124: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_sinclude
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
../source/configure: 1979: ./configure.lineno: Syntax error: word
unexpected (expecting ")")
strip: 'build/texk/web2c/xetex': No such file
ls: cannot access build/texk/web2c/xetex: No such file or directory

...but I am not sure what to change next.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

--