[XeTeX] texlive and xetex

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Jan 14 22:47:38 CET 2014

Please let's not talk about linux distributions.  Most of what you say is wrong.

TexLive releases once a year.  So does Ubuntu.  There is an effort to
synchronize, so as a result a given ubuntu release almost always
contains the 'latest' texlive release.

Further, the whole point of the apt-get system is that you can do
'rolling' releases.  I run debian/unstable, so I always have the
latest texlive bits.  If you are using a long term stable release, you
have specifically elected to freeze your packages and only get
security updates.  That's your choice.

Yes, I'm not getting them my tex bits straight from CTAN, but the
distro packagers are pretty on-the-ball.  Let's not insult them
unnecessarily.
 --scott

ps. see http://www.tug.org/texlive/distro.html if you have further questions.