[XeTeX] Hyphenation around „ß“

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 13 09:24:30 CET 2014

On 13/1/14 07:47, Georg Pfeiffer wrote:
> Am Do 09 Jan 2014 17:27:03 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>> So it can't be something new in babel.
>
> So is it relly true, that XeTeX is not able to apply the TeX hyphenation
> mechnanism correctly to some unicode characters like „ß“?
> I can't believe it.

That seems unlikely. It's almost certainly being affected by something
that latex or babel or whatever is setting up.

Minimal example, to be run *without* any latex or babel macros:

% >>>>> file "de.tex" <<<<<

\catcode`\{=1
\catcode`\}=2

\input unicode-letters.tex
\input hyph-de-1996.tex

\font\tenrm = "Times New Roman" at 10pt
\hyphenchar\tenrm=`\-
\tenrm

\hsize=2in
\vsize=8in
\parfillskip=0pt

\noindent wußte geißeln wußte geißeln wußte geißeln
  wußte geißeln wußte geißeln wußte geißeln
  wußte geißeln wußte geißeln wußte geißeln
  wußte geißeln wußte geißeln wußte geißeln
\par

\end

% >>>>> end of "de.tex" <<<<<

Run with "xetex -etex -ini de.tex" on TL2012 (the version I happen to
have installed here), this results in a PDF that correctly shows a
hyphen in one instance of "wuß-te" and one instance of "gei-ßeln".

(People without Times New Roman would need to adjust the testcase,
obviously.)