[XeTeX] XeLaTeX or LaTeXiT strange behavior

Yves Gaudemer gaudemer at ipgp.fr
Fri Feb 28 11:36:29 CET 2014

Dear all,

I use LaTeXiT to write equations for my Keynote presentations (I teach geology). I have exactly the same TeX distributions at home (a mid 2012 MacBook Pro running 10.9.2) and at the university (a late 2010 iMac running 10.9.2 too), regularly updated with TLM, the same preamble in my two copies of LaTeXiT (I use XeLaTeX composition with the Chalkboard SE font) but get very different results : it works perfectly at the university and fails completely at home, where I get the following error message :

line 478 : LaTeX Error Command \sups already defined

When I look into the execution report, I see that everything goes well until that :

usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tipa/tipa.sty:478: LaTeX Error: Co
mmand \sups already defined.
               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

then I get the following :

l.478   \lower.8ex\hbox{\super{#2}}}{#1}}}

Here is the preamble I use :

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage[usenames]{color}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{euler}
\usepackage{fontspec,unicode}

\setromanfont{Chalkboard SE}
\setmathrm{Chalkboard SE}
\setboldmathrm{Chalkboard SE Bold}
\fontspec{Chalkboard SE}

\newcommand{\mr}[1]{\mathrm{#1}}
\newcommand{\bmr}[1]{\mathbf{#1}}

and the short equation I test :

\mr{\cos\pi = -1}

I have tried to remove some \usepackage commands but to no avail. I would appreciate any help you can give me !

Yves Gaudemer

-----
IPGP - Bureau 214
1 rue Jussieu - 75238 PARIS CEDEX 05
Tél : +33 1 8395 7617 - Fax : +33 1 8395 7719