[XeTeX] rangecheck in --run--

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Aug 28 00:49:09 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-27 18:16, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> I'm curious why Ghostscript is being run at all. Is it trying to
> convert a PostScript or EPS graphic, when you intended to use a PDF
> directly? Maybe one of the users has a different version of the
> graphics package, or even just a configuration file, in a personal
> location? Does one of the users have a pre-converted .pdf version of
> the graphic, but the other only has access to an .eps original?

We do have a -D flag on the xdvipdfmx command line, which points to
v9.06 of ghostscript.  But that's the same for both this other user and
me (it's run from a script).  And I presume it's irrelevant to this
error, since the crash happens when xelatex is running, not (unless I'm
misunderstanding how this works) when xdvipdfmx runs.

So under what circumstances would xelatex (not xdvipdfmx) be calling
ghostscript?

> Maybe one of the users has a different version of the
> graphics package, or even just a configuration file, in a personal
> location?

That seems the most likely explanation, although how that results in
ghostscript getting called, I don't know.  In the past we have used
pdf2ps and ps2pdf (script which call gs) to convert some problematic
versions of pdfs into acceptable versions.  But that's s.t. we do once,
off-line, and we simply retain the acceptable pdfs.  So I don't think
that's what's going on here.

> Does one of the users have a pre-converted .pdf version of
> the graphic, but the other only has access to an .eps original?

I don't think so, but I'll certainly check when this other user gets
back (Wednesday).

    Mike Maxwell