[XeTeX] XeTeX (/not/ XeLaTeX) : Marginal kerning, font protrusion, hyperlinks

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Apr 10 13:58:23 CEST 2014

On 25/03/2014 09:03, I write (to XeTeX-Bounces, not to the correct list
address) the message below.  Ross Moore kindly offered an off-list
answer, but basically that was suggesting to use the XeLaTeX interface
to the features in which I was interested and to use TeX's debugging
tools to try to ascertain what was going on at the primitive level;
in the case of hyperlinks, I failed to achieve this (see below).

I then discovered (to my chagrin) that I had asked a very similar
question on 04/10/2012 09:06, and Jonathan Kew had kindly responded

> The clues you're looking for can be found in the archives of this list:
> see http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2010-May/016465.html.

Jonathan was (of course) perfectly correct in that clues could indeed
be found in the message to which he refers, but there seems a more
important question which remains unresolved :

Why are these key XeTeX primitives (\XeTeXprotrudechars, \rpcode, etc)
not documented in /The XƎTEX reference guide/ ?   Will, Khaled,
Jonathan :  can you comment on this, and will these (and any other
currently undocumented primitives) be documented in the version of
/The XƎTEX reference guide/ which accompanies TeX Live 2014 ?

As regards the hyperlink question, I still remain totally unclear
how this can be addressed at the primitive level; I have
successfully embedded hyperlinks using "eplain.tex", but that
has very undesirable side-effects and I prefer not to be
dependent on auxilliary libraries; could anyone please tell me
how hyperlinks can be successfully created in raw XeTeX source
code ?

Many thanks in advance :
Philip Taylor
--------