[XeTeX] Anomolous handling of parentheses in filenames ?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 12 21:39:05 CEST 2013

On 12/10/13 20:32, Philip Taylor wrote:
> To provide a starting point for a new project, I have just saved
>
> 	MS-1214-V15.tex
>
> from a sub-directory called
>
> 	Lambeth-Palace-Library
>
> in a parallel directory called
>
> 	Horsmonden-Armistice-Day
>
> as
>
> 	Order-of-Service(001).tex
>
> When I try to compile it, I am told :
>
> 	This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-0.9997.5 (Web2C 2011)
> 	 restricted \write18 enabled.
> 	entering extended mode
> 	! I can't find file `Order-of-Service001.tex'.
> 	<*> Order-of-Service(001).tex
>
> Why does XeTeX think the file is called "Order-of-Service001.tex" ?

This happened because (parentheses) are one of the options for "quoting"
file names (or parts of paths), and so (unless they are themselves
quoted, using "..." or '...') they won't be seen as part of the name. (I
see Khaled reports that this has since been changed/fixed in some way,
though I haven't followed the details.)

(I think it was Hans who originally asked for this - something related
to ConTeXt, IIRC.)

To use a file name that includes any of the "quote" characters, the name
(or the portion of the name/path that includes them) can be quoted using
a *different* quote character.