[XeTeX] Large brace in multiline table cell

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Oct 12 18:51:35 CEST 2013

BPJ wrote:

> 2013-10-12 17:23, Philip Taylor skrev:

>> Do you need to manually specify the line-turns in the
>> left-hand column,
>
> Yes that's the rub.  I'm experimenting with the various
> suggestions right now, and one problem is that there is
> a lot of whitespace to the left of a table-in-a-table...

OK, see following code, identical to earlier code except
that line-turns are explicit in parts of left-hand column :

--------

% !TeX Program=XeLaTeX
\documentclass {minimal}
\def \newline {\hfil \break}
\begin {document}
\parindent = 0 pt
\tolerance = 1999
\halign
\bgroup
&$\left . \vcenter {\hsize = 0,2\hsize #}\quad \right \rbrace \quad $&
	$\vcenter {\hsize = 0,7 \hsize #}$\cr
	Now\newline is the time\newline for all good men to\newline  come to
the aid of the party.  The quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy
dog's back.  The Leith police dismisseth us, for we sufficeth them.
	&
	Of all the fish within the sea, the mermaid is the one for me.
	We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land.
	\cr
	\noalign {\kern \baselineskip}
	Short left part,\newline spanning only two lines.
	&
	Excessively long right part, suggesting that the extensible brace
perhaps needs to size itself to the taller of the left and right parts.
	Excessively long right part, suggesting that the extensible brace
perhaps needs to size itself to the taller of the left and right parts.
	Excessively long right part, suggesting that the extensible brace
perhaps needs to size itself to the taller of the left and right parts.
	\cr
\egroup
\end {document}