[XeTeX] Problems in Devanagari typing.

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 19:26:26 CET 2013

2013/11/24 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 06:48:56PM +0100, NMPOST7 wrote:
>> On 24/11/2013 18:23, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> > What version of XeTeX are you using? You don't seem to be using the
>> > latest version.
>>
>> I am using the latest version from MacTeX (TexLive 2013) but I do not have the
>> Fonts mentioned here. I am using velthui mapping. That works out well with the
>> transliteration.
>>
>> In the attached file the direct typing in Devanagari is the first example. The
>> ligature is wrongly placed (the second syllable). The second line is interpreted
>> correctly.
>
> The TECkit map is breaking the direct Unicode input, if I drop it the
> first line gets rendered correctly.

As Khaled wrote, it is the TECkit problem. The TECkit map assumes that
the viramas were added as a result of the map and they are processed
in several steps. If you enter the Devanagari text directly, it cannot
work. See my samples with FreeSans and FreeSerif. Notice, that
FreeSans is usable for modern languages as Hindi, Marathi, Nepali, but
not for Sanskrit while FreeSerif is usable for all of them provided
you switch not only the script but also the language. Try to type
शक्ति with both Language=Hindi and Language=Sanskrit. The difference
should also be visible here:
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/freefont-devanagari/ (it works even on
many web browsers).