[XeTeX] Problems in Devanagari typing.

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Sun Nov 24 15:43:04 CET 2013

I was looking for some free, unicode compliant,
devanagari font family that  has regular, italic and bold variants.  I found
that aksharyogini, CDAC-GISTYogesh, FreeSans and FreeSerif
fit the bill. But, there are different problems with different fonts.
Here is a minimal example with the problems explained with comments.
  Yogesh font is OK but
for the one problem.
Is there a free font with all the three variants that works
properly?
*********example file begins***************
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{ifxetex}
\RequireXeTeX
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\newfontface\yogesh[Script=Devanagari,Ligatures=TeX]{CDAC-GISTYogesh}
\newfontface\aksharygni[Script=Devanagari,Ligatures=TeX]{Aksharyogini}
\newfontface\freeserif[Script=Devanagari,Ligatures=TeX]{FreeSerif}
\newfontface\freesans[Script=Devanagari,Ligatures=TeX]{FreeSans}
\begin{document}
\relax
{\yogesh विकर्णनीय  द्वि-आधारी संक्रिया}\\ %problem with the first word.
Repha is positioned wrongly.
{\aksharygni विकर्णनीय  द्वि-आधारी संक्रिया}\\ %problem with second word.
dvi ligature is not correct.
{\freeserif विकर्णनीय  द्वि-आधारी संक्रिया}\\ %Problem with second and
third words. dvi ligature is not correct and kri ligature is not correct.
{\freesans विकर्णनीय  द्वि-आधारी संक्रिया}\\ %kri ligature is not correct.
\end{document}
Dr. S. Venkataraman
Associate Professor in Mathematics
School of Sciences