[XeTeX] Malayalam typesetting using XeLaTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:55:45 CET 2013

2013/11/14 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de>:

> Am 14.11.2013 um 12:55 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>>> Without the a4paper option the document would be set for letter size paper. When you later use your package or geometry then you cannot guarantee that every package loaded (afterwards) gets informed that it is working on a differently sized sheet of paper.
>>>
>> This is exactly what I dislike. It breaks the modular way of
>> prograqmming. the layout package should deal with layout, other
>> functional packages should be layout independent. If the layout
>> options are needed for another package, zwpagelayout contains
>> documented interface.
>
> Your interpretation is wrong. The a4paper or whatever option just gives the dimensions of the sheet of paper the document will be printed or displayed on. It's the media size, a physical dimension. This has (almost) nothing to do with page layout. As an intelligent being you can overcome such physical restrictions. You can still layout a page for ISO A3 and try to print it on ISO A4... (there might still be a slight dependence on the cleverness of the printer used or the printer driver of your computer)

No, physical dimensions are equally important. If you produce C6 pages
and leave the default page size, no matter whether it is A4 or letter,
you will have large empty space. Some DTP studios will be clever
enough, inform you and crop the output, some will just process it as
is. Offset films are expensive and I personally do not like paying
empty space. If your output is A3 and you keep the A4 layout, it is
even worse because the output will be cropped to A4. What zwpagelayout
does is it sets \paperheight and \paperwidth exectly as the standard
LaTeX classes do and sends the values to the output driver. In
addition it defines the page layout and allows to set crop marks.

>>> Using tlmgr to set a default paper size for your LaTeX documents frees you a lot.
>>>
>> But if you ever have to share the source file with someone else, you
>> never know what the default setting is on someone else's computer.
>
> Right! Sometimes this behaviour can have "side effects".
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> One-Shot Case Study, n.:
>         The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from which it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves and are sometimes green.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz