[XeTeX] Malayalam typesetting using XeLaTeX

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 00:07:17 CET 2013

On 13/11/2013 23:41, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I've changed the \setmainfont command to be Times and added the \textbf command.

Thank you Herb,

> One thing I found was that there was some unknown character in the \textbf command.

That seems to be a problem in TeXShop. I noticed the error message when I
compiled and edited the space but the mistake remained and I could not see the
unknown character.

After cleaning that up it compiles. However, it appears that the Rachana font
doesn't have
the appropriate bold-extended font.

You may have to define that font manually as an option to the the setting of the
malayalamfont.

How do I define that option? That is something completely new to me.

As far as the numerals are concerned, I had a look at polyglossia, but it does
not seem to have that option.

What I tried was to get Malayalam numbers by using

\renewcommand{\thesection}{\malayalamnumeral{section}}
so that I could use \section{പ്രാരംഭഃ}

Apparently, that option is illegal as the package does not offer that possibility

Best regards
Suren